Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A Little Serenity in the Middle of a Nuthouse (Philly) ...

Some pictures of my backyard This was last year's landscaping project. Unfortunately, I don't yet have pictures of this year, but I'm hoping someone will lend me their camera so I can get some...

When I first moved into this place (I can't believe it was 8 years ago), the back yard was a plot of weeds and a carpet of ivory about 12 x 15 feet. I discovered this brick pathway and well (in the corner) after 3 days of ripping up the overgrowth.






The well. I wanted to make this look like an old, broken down wishing well, so I travelled around the neighborhood looking for broken bricks to build a little wall.







Close-up of the well and its occupants. This (2005) is the 3rd summer for the fish. They've been frozen solid during the winter and only one (unfortunately my favorite) had died. The others have gotten twice as big as in this picture, but no babies after all this time. I guess I'm the proud owner of the first gay fish club.





The patio. Once again, I traveled throughout the city and my friend and I came across a burned out shell of a house. We took a few trunkloads of brick to lay out this little patio. With a weave pattern, the worn and sometimes charred bricks made for a surprisingly interesting effect.

No comments: