Friday, July 29, 2005

Volunteerism vs. Being Dicked Over ...

I wasn't going to really say anything about the following situation on here, but I'm bored and, quite frankly, kinda pissed off. So here it goes:

Last Saturday night, I went to my regular stomping ground for a few drinks. I was off on Sunday, so I figured I can go out and slam a few back without the thought of keeping an eye on the time and making sure I get enough sleep before having to get up for work the next morning (like that really ever stopped me before). I got there about 9:30 and sat down for a drink. I was in a halfway descent mood and was chatting it up with the others around me while I sipped my beer.

The back bar is supposed to open at 10:00, but by 9:50, none of the workers (dancers, bartender or doorman) had arrived. Seeing how nothing much ever changes in that place, I was inwardly wondering if I were sitting there on another night, when the back bar wasn't even open. I kept my mouth shut about the time (except when it was time for me to get another beer).

About 10:05, the phone rang and the bartender (I'll call him #1) answered. After a few brief words, he hung up and said that the doorman had called from a cab and was on his way in. He then asked if I had seen the other bartender (#2) who was supposed to work the back bar. I told him no and #1 said he hoped that #2 was in the cab with the doorman and they were both on their way.

A few minutes later, the doorman arrived...alone. #1 asked if he'd seen #2 and the doorman shook his head. #1, knowing full well that he could potentially be screwed grew increasingly nervous as he called #2 only to get his voicemail. He left a message, wondering where he was and hoping he was on his way in but, as the minutes passed and 10:10 became 10:20, it was clear that #2 was quickly becoming a no-show.

Now, the doorman had just finished up a bartending course and had worked the bar one or two times during slow periods so, if #2 remained missing, the doorman could fill in, but there still remained the question of who was going to cover the door at the back bar since there was a $5.00 cover charge to get back in there (there are dancers on Friday and Saturday nights).

#1 turned to me with a nervous smile: "Do you wanna work the door tonight?"

I looked down at my beer. "No."

"Please? It's a quick 50 bucks."

"I really don't wanna do it."

"I don't know who else I can get right now." He turned to the guy sitting next to me, who quickly declined, stating that he had been there for the better part of the day and was going to be heading home soon.

He looked back at me with pleading eyes and I finally gave in with an overly dramatic slam of my bottle of beer onto the bartop. He thanked me and took me into the back to get me my money and tell the regular doorman that he was now bartending and I would be doing the door. It wasn't exactly the way I wanted my Saturday night to go, but it was not really a big deal either.

So, one by one, people slowly started making their way into the back bar and I collected the money. #1 was being his normal trouble-making self and flashing me with a flashlight, requesting ice for his bar up front. For the most part, it was an easy night. I collected money, made small talk with those who entered and sat on my ass in the doorway.

Close to midnight, #2 had called saying he had overslept and was on his way in shortly. This was, on one hand a relief and on the other a disappointment. I didn't really want to sit there for another two hours, but at the same time, I was talking with many people whom I wouldn't have if I had just been sitting at the bar. About 12:15, #2 came in and took over the back bar and the doorman moved into his normal position, leaving me to go get another beer. I headed up front and told #1 that I was officially off-duty. He thanked me and I purchased another beer (he didn't even comp me one).

I ended up sticking around until closing and the subject of pay was finally brought up (not by me). I didn't expect the full $50 since I only worked a few hours, but what transpired that evening and over the next 5 days was what eventually started to really piss me off.

The regular doorman had left after the bar closed and #1 came out from the office and said: "Did (the doorman) give you money?"

"No."

"Oh," He answered. "He was supposed to."

"Well, you can give me money."

"But you said you'd do this for free."

I was floored, but shrugged it off. #1 can always be a dickhead. He's been known to fuck with me from time to time, so I just put this off as one of those times and eventually made my way out of the place.

Monday, I stopped in after work and brought up the subject of pay again. Again, he gave me the run-around, telling me first, I had volunteered my services and then, when that didn't work, I needed to speak to the owner to get paid. I told him that the owner wasn't the one who asked me to work. The owner wasn't the one who I helped get out of a last minute bind. The owner wasn't even there Saturday night and #1, being the manager of the bar, should also be responsible for handling the situation. I became angry, but held my mouth and left the bar.

Yesterday, I stopped in and #1 arrived later for the shift-change. I had told the daytime bartender what was going on and I wrote a note for him to stick in the register so that #1 will see it right away: "Where's my money? - Chris".

By now, it wasn't even an issue with getting paid. I mean, $20 bucks or $25 bucks for half the night was no big deal. The issue I was having was the fact that I've been going to this same bar for years. It's a hang-out with many many regulars of which I am one. I'm just a beer drinker, but I do have a few whenever I'm in there. But there are also people who are regulars and drink $10.00 martinis. There are many regulars who have, throughout the years and the ups and downs that place has seen, kept that place afloat. There have been times when things were so bad from the previous owner that there wasn't even enough money to purchase more liquor. But we still kept coming. It wasn't for the atmosphere. It wasn't for the decor. It was mainly for the other diehards and the good times we pretty much have in each other's company.

But do you think, in appreciation, anyone would get a free drink from time to time from the manager? Or at least a discount?

NO!

That place has been in business for close to 30 years and there have been people who have been going there for that long, all the while paying for pretty much each and every drink they've consumed. Hell, even on those times when I've been there when the owner was there, he would buy a round for all present at the time (if it wasn't too busy), but even he slapped money down on the bar (even though he gets it back).

#1's philosophy: He charges everyone to drink, but if he'll see you out at a bar, then he'll buy you one or two. Unfortunately, pretty much the only time you'll see him out at a bar would be at one of the after-hour clubs. So, if you want a drink from #1, you need to be out at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning in the hopes that he would show.

All that bullshit aside, the issue here is appreciation. If #1 had asked me to help him out voluntarily with the door, I probably (although very reluctantly) would've obliged. But the fact remains he offered to pay me. Again, it's no longer about the money, it's about being a dickhead and beating around the bush, trying to either be funny (which it's not) or trying to avoid the situation altogether.

For at least seven or eight years I've been a regular there and I've never caused trouble. I'm well liked by the staff, owner and most of the customers. It's amazing how something as petty as this is enough to make me think twice about a place I've been going to for so long. Maybe it's time to think about another watering hole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Bartender #1 is full of #2

Chris said...

I'm waiting for the day when he'll hand me a twenty and act like I'M the one being an asshole.