Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Silent Killer ...

I'm sitting at my computer just now, reading a comment from a previous post (and yes, Mistress, it is a kitchen in my pocket). C-Rex, the kitty (his current name after watching the original King Kong the other day and realizing that his fighting stance is very much like the t-rex in the movie) is sitting on the floor staring up at me. His posture is very stoic, his tail wrapped around his feet like a loose fitting scarf. His paws perfectly placed in a picturesque pose. His large green eyes staring up at me as if telling me something.

I smile down at him, being careful not to make any sudden moves or speak for fear that he'll take it as a signal for playtime. He seems very content just sitting next to my feet, observing.

I return my gaze to the monitor, debating whether I should continue sitting here in my robe or actually do something with my life and brace the frigid temperatures and head on over to the Gallery Mall to get my Christmas shopping wrapped up.

And then it hits me...

If it had a visual presence, I could discribe it as a menacing green cloud, slowly drifting across the stagnant air of a closed up, winterized room. If it were a cartoon, I could describe it as having glowing yellow eyes, pulsating with a wicked anticipation as it neared its destination. It has an evil grin, its stained teeth crusted over with years of neglect and sharpened to deadly points. It has a pair of boney claws reaching out to me, its nails ready to wrap around my throat in a death grip.

I suddenly stop typing, my senses short circuiting, trying to decipher what the hell is happening.

I look down at C-Rex, who stares up silently....waiting...

Three words escape my lips. The three words that have been repeated endless times in small rooms across the country.

"Did you fart?!?!"

No comments: