Monday, September 19, 2005

Synchronicity ...

I know I have mentioned this book a number of times in past posts, but it's amazing how quickly things begin to happen that the book explains will happen. There's a section titled "Recovering a Sense of Power" where the author describes, what she calls, "synchronicity". Others refer to this as mere coincidence or just simple good luck. She goes on to explain that, in order to get a better grasp of your creative side, you shouldn't blow these situations off, but rather look for them.

The other day, I posted about a childhood memory and mentioned a book I loved in my single-digit years. "The Little House" stirred emotions and dreams in me that, I believe, is one of the reasons I love living in the city.

My friend, Michael, loves to shop around on E-bay. As soon as I published that childhood post, I had a strange feeling that he would look around the site in search of the book and present it to me for my birthday in December (the book was originally published in the early 40's and I figured was a hard one to find). Yesterday evening as I made my way through the Center City streets and headed for The Post, a new thought came into my head. I layed a patio for him & Ozzie last week and am currently building a planter box in their back yard. I figured (knowing him) he jumped on E-bay as soon as he read my post and would find the book and give it to me much sooner than my birthday, maybe even later on this week. Last night, as I sat at the bar sipping a beer, my cell phone rings. It's Michael.

"I have a gift for you."

He came out to The Post with an AIA Bookstore bag (shameless plug #1). In it was a wrapped package about the size of a shirt box.

"I thought of you when I saw this," he grinned.

"I have a feeling, I know what it is," I replied with a laugh. "But if you were able to get it this quickly, I'd be shocked!"

He just laughed as I unwrapped the package and opened the box. Lo and behold, there it was. My childhood memory..."The Little House"! Brand new, never been read (except by Michael). After my laughter (and yes, a few tears) subsided I asked him how the hell he came upon it so quickly. Michael, being the GM of the AIA Bookstore (shameless plug #2), told me that he too remembered this book from his childhood and, as the buyer for the store, he would often pick up items that reminded him of his youth (toys, books, etc.). I was completely floored (and delighted) by the gift and am very grateful for the thought.

Which brings me to shameless plug #3...

The AIA Bookstore is more than just books. Visit their site or stop in at 17th & Sansom Streets in Center City Philadelphia. Christmas is approaching (much sooner than many of us hope) and their Christmas shop will be opening in about a month or less. There, you will find a wide array of unique ornaments for your tree, some of which you'll laugh out loud at seeing. I've said this in a previous post long ago, but it certainly needs repeating: this place is much more than a book store for architects (although you'll certainly find some great books on pretty much any and all types of architecture ever conceived). It's a place where you can walk in and browse the aisles and, more likely than not, come across a one of a kind piece of jewelry or a chachke that just brings a smile to your face and tells you it's the perfect gift for that flamboyant friend you have such a hard time buying for. So click here and peruse through the numerous sections and see what item(s) you suddenly must have. Or better yet, if you're in Center City, stop in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chesney-Zellwegger flop after four months
The marriage of the year on St. John has collapsed after four months. Rumors abound online about the cause of the breakup between Kenny Chesney, one of the island's part-time bartenders and Renee Zellwegger, ...
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a swimming pool chemicals site/blog. It pretty much covers
swimming pool chemicals related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should leave things to synchronicity more often instead of constantly saying "hint hint."

Enjoy your book!